Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The Musical Pork Chop Rides Again

Not too long ago we were setting up the PA for one of SongSharing's Community Music Series concerts, chatting about the lineup that night. The shows always open with four open-mic slots for musicians from the area, and close with an hour set by the headline act. The headliners are always folks that have done a substantial amount of volunteering for SongSharing's 3MA series. (www.songsharing.org)

It was one of those nights when a few musical friends were coming to play an open mic set and we had agreed to share some time on stage backing each other up, as we had all performed together at one time or another.

I must have begun to reminisce about the days when I didn't know anyone to sit in with me, or anyone I could sit in with - the days when trying to put a presentable set of music together with "bandmates" often felt more like being the ADHD Crisis Manager at an elementary school. The days that drove me to go it alone and put together my own two-hour show so I could actually get jobs and perform...

Then the realization came to me that I had created a wonderful thing thru SongSharing - an entity that brought musicians together in an environment of sharing and teamwork - of playing together! It occured to me that SongSharing was a sort of musical pork chop I had hung out there years ago to get people to come play with me! Not just musicians I realized, but business people and philanthropists that like to play with people like us by supporting what we do, being a part of it!

And it has worked - but not just for me. It has worked to bring musicians together - a special kind of musician in a special environment. SongSharing musicians get back to the basics - the spirit of the music they play and the lyrics they write. They live the lyrics - the peace and love and everybody get together lyrics.

SongSharing has grown to be a very unique organization making unique things happen for unique people - not every musician can do this, not everyone can find the high in one of these shows. Or perhaps they aren't ready for it - it's a very powerful high that can last for days.

The organization has built a series of venues and performance opportunities for aspiring musicians. Beyond the volunteer venues are public performance, TV, radio and recording opportunities. Beyond that are touring opportunities. First and foremost though, it's about sharing songs, and all that comes with it...

I was reminded of the Musical Pork Chop today as I was driving down to the 8.62 acres I am going to barter into an endowment for SongSharing. I was going to meet a photographer for tomorrow's Daily Progress story. I realized I was hanging the pork chop out there again, this time to a larger audience of musicians and philanthropists and business supporters. But it's the same thing on a larger scale - the Pork Chop Rides Again!

I wonder who's gonna come play...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home